Policy No. SA-1632.1
Back to top
Back to top
Back to top
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 21, 1997*
(*Position/Title Updates 2/15/05)
OFFICE: Student Affairs (SA)
POLICY & PROCEDURES MEMORANDUM
The Committee on Athletics serves as an advisory source for the Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Affairs. The Committee makes recommendations concerning all phases of the Athletic Program of Delgado Community College and promotes the College's athletic programs and any other connected functions. Specifically, the Committee:
(1) Formulates, reviews, and recommends athletic policies.
(2) Serves as the grievance committee for formal student athletic-related grievances.
(3) Reviews and makes recommendations for the schedule of athletic events.
(4) Reviews the academic progress of student athletes and their eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics and encourages their graduation.
(5) Reviews and helps formulate policies for the use of athletic facilities.
(6) Reviews and promotes the College's policy on gender equity and minority recruitment for athletic programs.
(7) Prepares an annual report of the Athletic Program.
(8) Reviews, as need arises, any conflicts or problems involving the Delgado Athletic Program, Miss-Lou Conference, and National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) regulations.
(9) Is involved with the selection of the Athletic Director and full-time staff members.
(10) Recommends criteria for athletic scholarships and reviews the qualifications of recipients for the academic year on the first day of class each fall semester.
The Committee on Athletics is appointed by the Chancellor of the College and has six ex-officio members--the Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Affairs, the Assistant Dean, Student Life and Judicial Affairs, the Athletic Director, and the head coach of each major College sport. The Committee also has at least six (6) faculty and staff members, with representation from each campus; and at least two student athletes, one male and one female, all with full voting power.
TERMS OF OFFICE
Each member of the Committee will serve for staggered three-year terms. The Chair of the Committee will be appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Affairs.
The Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Affairs directs the Chair of the Committee to schedule the committee’s first meeting within one month of the beginning of each academic year. Subsequent meetings are called as necessary with the Committee meeting at least three times each semester. The Committee meets as a group at one designated athletic event each semester. This is agreed upon by the majority present and decided when all members' schedules are made available.
The Chair of the Committee will prepare and submit the required reports as published in the yearly Operational Guidelines documenting the progress of the committee, with copies to the committee members
Ione H. Elioff
Committee on Athletics 4/16/97
Student Affairs Council 5/5/97
Executive Council 5/21/97
Regular Faculty (HRS Codes 01 - 04)
Regular Academic Support Staff (HRS Code 05)
Limited Appointment Faculty (HRS Code 06)
Adjunct Faculty (HRS Code 07)
12-Month Unclassified Administrators/Staff (HRS Code 08)
Classified Staff (HRS Code 09)
Grant Employees (HRS Code 11)
Committee Standard Forms:
Committee Initial Report (Form A)
Committee Recommendation Form (Form B)
Committee Attendance Report (Form C)
Committee Final Report (Form D)
Back to top