POLICY No. BAA-L01
INTERNAL POLICY AND PROCEDURE
Procedures for Ensuring Civil Service Certification &
November 23, 2004 (Title Updates 1/20/10)
BUSINESS AND ADMINISTRATIVE AFFAIRS (BAA)
Human Resources (Civil Service Employment)
Human Resources (L)
PROCEDURES & SPECIFIC INFORMATION
To establish procedures for ensuring civil service certification and internal control, in accordance
with Policy and Procedures Memorandum HR-2130.1, Civil Service Appointing Authority,
Certification and Internal Control.
2. Scope and Authority
This procedure applies to all Human Resources staff involved in matters pertaining to
Civil Service employees.
3. Appointing Authority Responsibility
In accordance with Policy and Procedures Memorandum HR-2130.1, Civil Service Appointing
Authority, Certification and Internal Control, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources
serves as the Civil Service Appointing Authority for Delgado Community College. This gives the
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources authority to take and to certify actions and or to
delegate to other members of the Office of Human Resources staff approval to take actions
and/or to certify compliance.
4. Certification Authority Procedures
1. The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources will delegate to his/her staff by
official memorandum designating who has authority to certify actions. This will inform
Human Resources staff as to who has the authority to approve and who has authority to
certify actions at the College.
2. Documentation of delegations of appointing authority to approve taking actions shall
be maintained in the Human Resources Office, as well as any written documentation of
who is the appointing authority’s designee to certify compliance.
5. Internal Control Procedures
1. Internal Controls have been established by a Human Resources internal audit function of
all actions taken during a bi-weekly pay period.
2. The Office of Human Resources will follow standard operating procedures as
established for hiring, authorizing pay above the minimum, promotions, reallocations,
merit increases, etc., in accordance with Civil Service guidelines.
3. Human Resources will follow established security procedures to protect confidential
4. Human Resources will follow an established system of checks and balances. This
system will ensure that a complete HR function cannot be performed without the
involvement or review of more than one employee.
5. Human Resources employees will be held accountable for the functions of their jobs by
means of timely, thorough, job-specific PPR performance expectations and timely and
thorough PPR reviews.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Delgado Policy and Procedures Memorandum HR-2130.1, “Civil Service
Appointing Authority, Certification and Internal Control”
Director, Human Resources 11/16/04
Business & Administrative Affairs Council 11/23/04
Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Affairs 11/23/04
Civil Service Acceptance 1/5/05